Sunday 25 September 2011

Sometimes you just have to do what you want to do and not what you feel you should be doing.

This weekend I have ummed and ahhed and ummed some more about whether to use my days off from ISTI in October to be cultured and make the most of every opportunity open to me being out here or to go back to Lancaster and check my friends are all still there in one piece, haven't forgotten me and that I haven't just imagined them!  I spent a lot of time thinking that going back to Lancaster would be the cowards way out, and it's not a "Year Abroad" if you come home and speak English for a weekend.  I really wanted to do it but I was fighting with the part of myself that has to always do things the right way and do what they told us to do in year abroad week.

Well, why should I?  I've taken the chance to do what I want to do and not what I think is right.  Instead of potentially spending my days off thinking of what I'm missing out on in Lancaster I'll be there.  Yes it will be hard to see everyone, settled in and enjoying their final year of course it will.  But that's going to happen regardless of whether I'm there or not.  If it is going to make me feel better and give me something to look forward to then, so what? Plus I'm using the money I earnt on my first little YA adventure to Valencia to pay for a break from this one!

I can now forget about it for 5 weeks, enjoy Brussels, enjoy French, try and improve, try and learn something, see the sites and have a nice little break in store.

Here's to week 2 at ISTI, wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. It's your year abroad in fairness , and its one weekend - you'd only regret not going otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I'm seeing it and plus there are plenty of people doing it, I'm not the only one wimping out and visiting home lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the exact reason of feeling like I shouldn't, I didn't go home for a weekend during my YA until April, I really wish I had done though! One weekend's not going to be damaging and it's something to look forward to :)

    Mikey x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: