Tuesday 13 September 2011

"Je suis anglaise...."

After my first night in my new home I met Mum and Dad to go to ISTI to get proof that I'm a student there- so I can get 50% off my travel card, well worth doing!  On the way there a girl tried asking Mum for directions, Mum of course said to her "Je suis anglaise", it's a standard way of getting out of helping someone! I told the girl that I spoke a bit of French but she said not to worry and went on her way.  We continued to ISTI, saying that actually, even if we had said we could help her where could we really direct her to? McDonalds? Carrefour? ISTI?  That is about the sum of what we knew about the area.  Having decided it probably wasn't any of those places that she wanted (bearing in mind we'd been standing outside 2 of them) we were unlikely to be able to help her.  How wrong could we be?  When I was at reception at ISTI, who should I see but the girl!  She'd found her way there and found the situation just as funny as I did.  She is from Italy, I guess she is on Erasmus too.  Met my first non-English ISTI student then.

After our first little adventure for the day we went off to Carrefour to fill up my cupboards a little bit, beginning to feel more and more like home, at least for the next few months anyway.

We spent the rest of the afternoon queueing to get my travel pass and going on the sight-seeing bus.  Picked the wrong time to go though, a 1.5 hour trip took just over 2 in the rush hour traffic...

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the protip vis the student discount! And I feel "Je suis anglaise!" is going to feature heavily in my vocab...!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: