Thursday 21 June 2012

They think it's all over. It is now.

That's it.  Done and dusted.  This time tomorrow I will hopefully be sat at home in Essex, the sunny climbs of Spain far behind me.  My year abroad began 350 days ago when I set off for Valencia in July 2011, it seems like such a long time ago and yet only yesterday...  Since then I have spent around 300 of those days out of the UK, the rest have been split between Belgium and Spain (with a couple of weekends in France and Luxembourg!)  I don't think it will really hit me that it's all over for a while yet, although I'm going home tomorrow I am heading up to Lancaster on Sunday for a week and at the moment I think it will just feel like another one of my visits, not that I'm actually back for good.  I guess it will hit me at some point in the summer when I'm stuck in the rain that I won't actually be coming back out to Spain just yet.

If you'd have asked me a few months ago if I could see myself moving abroad I'd have said no, I think that was because I'd been in Brussels, in winter, speaking my weaker language.  Ask me that question now and I'd have something different to say.  Hard as I have found it this year I think a lot of that can be put down to things not being on my terms, studying classes I wasn't enjoying and finding little motivation for them.  If the right job came along one day then I would certainly consider coming back to live in Spain again, and I'm surprised to "hear" myself say that.

Contrary to what many people will probably believe I have actually enjoyed this year, in my own way, and I've still got something out of it.  I may not have made loads of friends from all around the world and had "the best year of my life" but that's not to say that there isn't a lot of value in the year that I have had.  I have learnt plenty about myself, and I think I've learnt a fair amount about other people too.

Tomorrow afternoon I will return to the UK satisfied with my year, I'm not going to let myself have any regrets or things I wish I'd done differently, because let's face it, who is that helping now?

As for what's next?  Who knows!  I thought that by the end of this year I'd have a clearer picture of what I want to do with myself this time next year when I'm all done at Lancaster (This year better not pass as quickly as the last one has...).  However, I've probably just ended up with more ideas and confusion!  Oh well, nice to have options right?

I reckon that once I'm back in rainy old England I'll realise how much I liked being abroad and probably want to get out and see more of the world, let's just see though shall we?

I'm hoping to keep writing these blogs, although my life back home probably won't be interesting enough to write about unless you want to hear about my dissertation, going to work and writing essays, so I'll try and do them on languages/translation sort of topics as and when I can think of any.

So, that's it.  My year abroad is over. Thanks to those of you that have been reading this all the way along, and I hope I've been of some use/interest/entertainment to at least some of you!

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Bex. Can't wait to get you home tomorrow but will be happy for you to continue your adventures again in the future, perhaps to places you choose to go to and preferably not alone! Well done for surviving 3 homes, 3 sets of flatmates from many nationalities in 3 cities, 2 unfamiliar countries and 2 non native languages - perhaps more to be proud of than you are giving yourself credit for! Roast dinner tomorrow night??!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy being back together at home - Doug & I are off to Spain for a weeks walking in the hills - sounds as if a great time was had - how fantastic # Jenny

      Delete

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: