Tuesday 3 July 2012

So now what?

One of the biggest problems about coming home from the year abroad is finding something to keep yourself occupied for the 3 months before you have to go back to Uni again to finish it all off.  So far my feet haven't really had the chance to touch the ground, which is just the way I like things to be.

After arriving back in the UK on Friday 22nd I almost immediately headed up to Lancaster for the week for Grad Ball, Extrav (Big end of term event in each college), sort out some bits and pieces and of course see all the people I'd not seen in quite a while.  This didn't go as smoothly as planned as 1.5 hours into my journey I had to call out the AA... Long story short, my car is fine now but my Mum did have to come up in my Nanas car and swap with me so that I could continue my journey northwards.  Grad ball was a really good night, as was Extrav, as ever I think it's about the people that you're with as opposed to what has been organised, it's your night and it is what you make it.  I also attempted to visit the Lakes but managed to pick the day that Kendal flooded and had to turn round and drive right back again...

I got back to Maldon on Sunday evening and had an interview at Stansted airport on Monday morning. Today I've gone and joined the gym and had a call to say I've got the job and training starts tomorrow, as I said- feet never touch the ground for long!  Don't get the wrong impression though, this job hunt hasn't been quite as straightforward as it seems!  I had already been given a job in catering for the police at the Olympics but the company have been less than efficient shall we say and so that was beginning to look less and less likely.  I sent a lot of CVs and applications last week and luckily had this response.

I've also been thinking a lot recently about what I want to do when I graduate, I think this is because of the amount of people I know that are graduating this year and I'm seeing them make their plans and sort out everything for their jobs or courses that they're starting.  People tend to assume that because I study languages it means I'm either going to go into teaching or translation, and I'm not saying that I've not considered either of those options, but equally they're not my only options, in fact, I'm increasingly beginning to consider jobs that have no direct relation to my degree at all, watch this space, I guess I'll have to get looking at applications at some point...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: