Sunday 13 May 2012

A week with my family. Granada, Nerja and Gibraltar.

This week my parents and my Nana came out to visit me in Granada, the week covered my Mums birthday as well as my 21st so it was really good timing.  They stayed in a hotel right near to my flat which was really convenient as it only meant a 5 minute walk whenever we wanted to meet up.  They arrived in the evening on Sunday so we didn't do much, I just went back to their hotel and chilled for a bit. On Monday I had classes to go to in the morning, but after that we went to the Cartujan Monastary which was good as I'd not had a chance to go inside there yet.  Tuesday was my Mums birthday, and I had classes again, so whilst I was there they went back on the Sight-seeing bus as they'd enjoyed it the day before and then went to the Cathedral.  In the afternoon we had a bit of a wander and went out to dinner near the Alhambra to celebrate Mums birthday.  Annoyingly I started to feel ill on Tuesday night so made the decision to get a good nights sleep and not go to classes on Weds.  As it happened this was a good decision as my Nana dropped her purse in the taxi, long story short they were reunited but I had to make a phone call to the hotel and go and collect it.  I also managed to get some productive work done in the flat whilst they were at the Alhambra so it worked out ok in the end.  We didn't do too much on Weds afternoon because it was very hot, instead we got taxi back to the hotel, via a rather large detour.  A slight misunderstanding between the taxi driver and I meant that he began taking us to hotel Los Angeles not Los Aljibes, not at all close to each other...  In the evening we went for a wander round the shops in town and had dinner.  There was another student strike on Thursday and lots of lessons were cancelled, I presumed that meant my class was off too and so took the day off again.  We decided that as we had the whole day free we would go a little further and drive along the coast to Nerja, it was lovely weather and it was nice to get out of Granada.  At this point I believed that I would be spending my birthday the following day in Malaga but this was not to be!  The plan was to drive to a hotel in San Roque and then spend the day in Gibraltar where I have been wanting to go for ages but was pretty sure I wasn't going to have time to do.  It was a really good day.  So that we could fit it all in we did a taxi tour of the rock, meaning we got to go in the caves and the siege tunnels, see the apes and hear all about Gibraltar which we otherwise wouldn't have had time for.  After the tour we had a wander round and then walked back to Spain(!), where we had to cross the runway to get off of Gibraltar, very odd!  It was also very funny seeing M&S, Next and other British shops as well as telephone and post boxes.  On Saturday we travelled back to Granada via Puerto Banus and Nerja. Granada is boiling now so we went and bought a fan so that I don't melt when I'm in my room and I've looked up where to get the bus to uni, it actually means walking in the wrong direction but I think that walking up to the Uni in the midday heat would just be stupid so I don't really have the choice.  I only have 3 weeks left of classes now, and some finish in 2 weeks time and then I have my exams, so I don't have that many trips back up there anyway!  In fact I have 12 days of classes at the most plus 4 exams in the next 40 days before I go home!

All in all I have had a great time having them here, as always saying good bye is really hard, but  at least I know that the  next time I am with them will be in the airport in London and my year abroad will officially have ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: