Wednesday 25 April 2012

The day the Spaniards pretty much kicked me out.

This morning I was sitting in my class minding my own business when I could hear chanting in the distance.  It got louder and louder, I couldn't distinguish the words but it didn't matter because all of a sudden a very angry looking Spanish student burst into my class room!  He got up onto the stage type thing at the front of the room and started shouting at us, he was telling us that we must get up, listen and join them in strike against the cuts and the fact that next year students could be paying up to €1000, I felt like telling him to try £9000 for size but thought I'd be safer not to!  There were quite a few people that weren't showing any intention of moving, Spanish students and Erasmus students alike, but he was going nowhere.  He just continued to shout and look angrier and angrier until people got up and left.  I wasn't sticking around, he was scary!  We stayed around outside the classroom for a bit to see what would happen, someone apparently saw our teacher but she didn't seem to make it down to the classroom.  It seems they were moving on from our building to the other departments on the campus before heading into town to the other faculties.  We stayed for a bit and had a coffee, but then we decided that it was unlikely that classes would be on for the rest of the day and left.  I have now heard that my next class actually went ahead, but I'm not going now I've made it back to the flat already, it's not like I'm going to miss much anyway.

I totally understand why they are striking, and they have the right to do it, but I also agree with what I heard one Spanish student saying to the people organising the strike.  She said to them that as much as it was their right to strike it was also her right to stay and be taught, she wasn't happy about the fact that her class had been cancelled because of the students going on strike.  To me it doesn't really matter, after all I am only an Erasmus student and if I miss a few classes it really isn't going to make much difference to me.

So it seems my weekend begins here as I've been told that tomorrow is some day to do with the founder of the University and students don't turn up to classes!  We also have a puente (bridge) as Tuesday is a festival day, meaning Monday is off too!  I won't be in classes again until this time next week!  Ridiculous, but welcome to Spain eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: