Friday 17 February 2012

Lots of walking, lovely tapas and a new French flatmate.

After arriving on Monday and getting moved into my flat nice and quickly I have spent the last few days getting to know Granada as well as shopping for bits and pieces and making my room feel more homely.  Mum and I have done loads of walking and I reckon I've pretty much got to grips with where things are, I've put up a map of Granada on my wall in the hopes that I'll some how just magically absorb it and instantly know where I am, if only things worked like that, a bit like the theory of sleeping with a dictionary under the pillow, although I must say I have been tempted to try it!

Mum left yesterday after we'd spent our last day doing yet more walking (we decided to go up the hill to the Uni, no need for a gym membership with that walk every day, usually more than once...) as well as having a nice meal up by the Alhambra.  Saying goodbye was hard as it always is but I know she'll be back out again in less than 3 months and I have plenty of other things to look forward to before then.

Today I had a meeting at the Uni in the morning, it wasn't particularly exciting so I won't bore you with any details.  Later in the afternoon I met with Jack, Aimee and Michael for a wander around the city.  This short wander turned into a rather long walk when we decided to head up to Albyzin to some tapas bars.  We never did find them, to cut a long story short we walked up hill a long way and then back down again but it was through a very pretty part of the city so I'm not complaining.  When we got back to the bottom we had a drink, tapas and some more food in a street literally off of one of the main streets we'd started on!  We may not have achieved quite what we'd intended but it was a nice walk and a good way of using up a few hours whilst we can, this time next week we will have started classes.  We've decided that we'll try again next week and head up for a wander round where near Amiee lives as apparently there are some really good views, which there should be considering the climb to get there!

When I got back tonight I discovered that I have a new flat mate, and she is French.  I think I have already spoken more French with her than I did with my flat mate in Brussels the whole time I was there!  She doesn't speak much Spanish or English so this is the best way for us to communicate, good for me as I really need the practise, I shall make the most of it before she realises she is in Spain and so should really have a go at Spanish a bit more!

Tomorrow brings another wander in town and then we are going out for tapas in the evening so we can say we have been nice and cultural.  Maybe on Sunday I'll get around to looking at my translation for my dissertation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: