Tuesday 21 February 2012

I have a feeling Granada is going to be hard work...

So over the last 2 days I've been to the first lesson of all my courses, the way the Granada timetable works it means that Monday and Wednesday are the same and Tuesday and Thursday are the same.  I'm taking History of Women, Universal History of the Modern World, Introduction to Latin and a course on Spanish Dialect.  They all look like they are going to be pretty hard work and unlike in Brussels where I was in classes for just Erasmus students, except for my Law class, I am in classes with Spanish students studying for their degree in the subject, so it's harder to understand and certainly of a higher level.  I don't have to do well for Lancaster but I'd like to do OK so I think some effort is going to be required.  Mental effort isn't the only sort kind of effort I'm having to put in though, exercise features fairly high on the list.  Yes, I am living only 10-15 minutes away from the University, but the problem is the walk is entirely uphill, we're not talking a small hill either by any means.  Walking this at 8.30 in the morning twice a week is certainly not a pleasure, especially as on 2 days I have to descend said hill and re-mount (is that a word...?) it about an hour later.  Currently my legs are screaming out at me to stop, but seeing as I really don't have another option I am going to have to "man up" and get used to it, pronto!  At least I only have a 4 day week, so Fridays will be spent with the intention of moving as little as possible!

Next Tuesday is Andalucia Day, I'm not sure if anything special happens around here, other than everything grinding to a halt I presume, but what I do know is that the Spanish love their puentes (which means bridges) meaning that no only do we get Tuesday off but to bridge the gap between the weekend and the festival we get Monday off too!  I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with a 5 day weekend though, it's not as great as it seems, at home I'd happily do nothing for a few days but here I get easily bored and that just makes me miss home even more.  Shall have to try and make some plans for the time I guess!

I know I shouldn't wish away time, but now she has booked her flights I am really looking forward to Erin visiting in March, it's the first of the list of things that I'm up to and it gives me something to look forward to.  Especially as 3 or 4 of my best friends in Lancaster are celebrating 21st birthdays in March so I know I'll be missing out on all of that.  Everything I've planned basically happens in the middle of my time here, I've got nothing for the first month-ish and nothing in the last 6 weeks other than my exams.  Anyone fancy a holiday in Granada in March or May/June?!

In some ways it is fairly depressing and in others quite exciting that I'm already having to think about next year.  The depressing one is that I've started my translation for my dissertation, in the hopes that it'll give me a good start when I get back in September.  The exciting one is that I'm running for President of the Languages society at Uni, I've had to send a video of my speech though, I'm not going back to England for that funnily enough!  I'll let you know how that goes when I know, I think it's a good few weeks away yet though.

I think I've probably bored you with enough of my updates now, time to go and cook something at least vaguely edible for tea and probably have a shower to avoid getting up at 6.30 tomorrow morning! Adios :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: