Friday 14 October 2011

It's all about trying something different.

One of the key things about going on a year abroad is doing something different.  Experiencing new things and doing things that you wouldn't normally try.  Or so Jenny and I kept telling each other when we decided to go to s "Speedy Friending" even that the ISTI Student Council (literally run by 3 student volunteers so I hesitate to call it a Student Union or anything similar...) were putting on.  We got there and went downstairs to find them still setting up and were eventually (when they noticed us there) asked to go back upstairs and join "the others", at which point we were a little confused as there weren't really any "others" there to wait with.  We did as asked though and waited upstairs.  When the time came for them to ask people down we were very hesitant to say the least and said on more than one occasion that we would quite happily leave .  One way or another we eventually decided to stay and give it a go.  I have to say I was expecting something structured where we all went round and introduced ourselves to different people but what actually happened was we all sat round tables and had to get up and tell everyone who we were, by about the 10th person that got up and said "Je suis anglais(e)" I wanted to be of any other nationality just because we totally outnumbered everyone else, with close competition from the Italians though!  After this we were just told to talk, well we'd all sat down with people we already knew and no-one moved to mingle at all and that was pretty much the end of it.  Afterwards there was a party, we didn't stay, but it reminded me of a school disco, just needed them to play a bit of Steps and for the boys and girls to split to other sides of the room!  The only plus side to the evening was that we got the chance to buy ISTI hoodies!

Today I have no classes but as I have loads of work to do this weekend I decided to avoid it at all costs and use today to do all the other bits and pieces and get cracking tomorrow.  First, and thus avoiding anything useful, I went with Jenny to the European Parliament as they've opened up a new visitor centre.  It was very good actually, and if I'd not been carrying my coat, and my impulse by new shoes I'd have stayed longer although we were there for a long time!  I can see why it has cost them so much though!  You all get an iPod-esque thing that you use to read and listen to the information as you go round by swiping it against a panel next to the thing you're looking at, very clever.  There are all sorts of interactive elements to it, well worth a trip-especially as it is free!  I did it in French this time, much to the confusion of the huy at the desk who kindly told me to bring it back if I didn't understand it...thanks I may be English but some of us to bother to learn other languages...  I might go again and do it in Spanish, it may take a 3rd and final English trip to get there though!

Got to get on top of all my work this weekend because I've got some busy weekends coming up and I won't get the chance to do it. In for a fun couple of days...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: