Saturday 20 August 2011

Good-Bye Valencia

6 weeks ago today I was at home, in Essex, all ready to head out to Valencia for the first part of my year abroad adventure.  It feels like just last week, everyone told me the time would go quickly but I don't think I 
really appreciated quite how fast it would go until this weekend.

But what have I actually done over the last 6 weeks?  Well, to catch you up if you don’t know I’ve been working in a real estate company doing Spanish to English translation, English to English re-writes and writing exciting blog articles.  But that only covers 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  The rest of the time I have tried to be a touristy as I can possibly be!  I’ve been walking in parks, sunbathing on beaches and eating ice creams as well as more cultural things like seeing the sites, climbing towers and of course eating paella and tapas.  I even managed to squeeze in 3 days in Barcelona.  There are plenty of photos to follow when I’m not using this silly pay as you go internet.

I think some people thought, and in fact told me, that I was completely crazy coming out here before starting my year abroad properly, and I’m inclined to agree in a way but I have to say I think this experience is only going to serve to make the rest of this year easier.  I’ve got over the first hurdles of living in another language, all that culture shock and stuff they kept telling us about, living in an international atmosphere and doing things I wouldn’t normally chose to.  I can move on to Brussels now easier, despite the fact that I have now got the delightful French language to struggle with instead.

On Thursday I finally fly home, but don’t be fooled, I won’t be sticking around!  Mum and I are off to Brussels to sort out somewhere for me to live for 5 months.  I’m going to try and fit as much as I can into my 2 weeks back at home but I know I won’t get to see everyone.

All that I have left to say today is roll on 2011-2012 and I’m sure I’ll be back in Lancaster for Freshers 2012, and final year, before I know it!

Below- The team in the office, photo borrowed from Lydia! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: