Tuesday 25 September 2012

WANTED: Bernards Watch.

Moving into a new bedroom has become quite routine for me over the last year or so (this being my 4th since July 2011), and so moving up to Lancaster into a new house didn't seem anything out of the ordinary.  My parents left, and I've got on with things like I have every other time.

Taking a walk to Williamson Park with my parents felt like I was on holiday, or discovering a new place for the first time again.  The trip to the supermarket to get everything stocked up could've been in Brussels, or even Spain (if it wasn't for the weather...).  Even standing on Alexandra Square yesterday in the rain as the fire alarm rang and rang I don't think it had all quite sunk in... Maybe that has something to do with the fact that, similarly to on my year abroad, I've found myself on my own getting on with things as my housemates aren't arriving until the weekend.

But it's not my year abroad any more is it?  No it's not, and the moment when it really hit home was this evening when I was sat on my bedroom floor surrounded by exec t-shirts, posters, flyers, timetables and plans with a job application open on the screen, my dissertation text open on the desk and my rota for the next two weeks on the fridge. Oh yeah, I'm back alright...

My year away from Lancaster made me appreciate everything that is on offer to me here and only served to fuel my determination to be involved in everything and make the most of every opportunity, a determination that I've had since I started here anyway.  The problem this year is going to be time, I have to face the fact that I simply can't throw myself into everything.  Well, I could, if I had no intention of getting a 2:1.  What I actually need is Bernards watch...

I have a friend from school that this week began her first year of Uni and is blogging her way though being a fresher, (take a look at it here) and also blogged about the lead up to Uni (also here), and it got me thinking about my final year.  If I find Bernards watch I might try and blog my way out of university, what do you think?  I think my road out of university is going to be quite a contrast to her first steps on the road through it, but let's see shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave me a message: